On May 10, the US International Trade Commission (ITC) issued a Federal Register notice stating that it will conduct an investigation into the economic impacts of the Section 301 and 232 (global steel and aluminum) tariffs on US industries. See Notice.
The ITC will hold a hearing, and accept pre-hearing and post hearing briefs. The following are the relevant dates:
- July 6, 2022: Deadline for filing requests to appear at the public hearing.
- July 8, 2022: Deadline for filing prehearing briefs and statements.
- July 14, 2022: Deadline for filing electronic copies of oral hearing statements.
- July 21, 2022: Public hearing.
- August 12, 2022: Deadline for filing post-hearing briefs and statements.
- August 24, 2022: Deadline for filing all other written submissions.
- March 15, 2023: Transmittal of Commission report to Committees.
This investigation, conducted pursuant to Section 332, may be used by the USTR to determine what products should be removed from Section 301 tariffs. Importers should consider participating in the Section 332 proceedings to obtain relief from 301 tariffs.